Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Decison Has Been Made

I have decided that I am not going to take the first Big Program Final on March 24. It was a difficult decision to make, but I just cannot take such an important final when I have so much going on in my life that I can barely study. I actually have a list of things to justify my decision. Some of these things are as follows:

1. I received confirmation about two weeks ago that my graduate advisor does not have enough money to continue funding my assistantship after the end of the spring semester. So I have been looking for either another assistantship or a job. I found another part-time job and I started it this week. The employer could not wait until the end of my assistantship for me to begin the new job. I was reluctant to add an additional thing to my already too hectic schedule, but I had to be sure that I did not end up without an income after my assistantship has ended, so I accepted the position. So, in addition to the work I do for my assistantship and my 13 credits of courses, I now have another job. After my assistantship has ended, this part-time one will not be enough. I am continuing the job hunt.

2. I have more than 120 credits which according to the university is too many. They will not allow me to continue receiving financial aid after the end of the spring semester. So I have to appeal. I have some work to do with this one.

3. Since it is likely that I will not have an assistantship for the summer semester, I am going to apply for a graduate supplemental retention award. This award will pay for up to 6 credits per semester for the last 3 semesters. I've got the paperwork; have to make the time somehow to fill it out and turn it in by next week.

4. I am having a couple of health issues which are taking up way too much of my time. The graduate students insurance has a prescription drug capitation limit of $2000. So, they are no longer paying for my asthma medicines. I spent about 5 hours last week dealing with the paperwork to apply to a patient assistant program. Unfortunately, there appears to be a slight glitch in the system and I am not going to get the medicines for at least a month. Since I can't wait that long, I'm now searching for other options.

Am I justified in my decision to not take the final on March 24? Yes, absolutely! Hopefully I can get my life in order and stabilized soon.

I will take the first Big Program Final on Tuesday, June 23 and the second one on Friday, June 26.

Life is great when one can finally make a difficult decision.

No comments: