Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Resolution and The Interview

I am working my way towards accomplishing my New Year's Resolution. I knew that I would not be able to all of a sudden start going to bed at 11:30, so I have been gradually going to bed earlier and earlier. I think I will be successful with this resolution.

I still haven't heard anything about the job that I interviewed for, but I think I will not be selected for the position. This is not negative thinking; this is realistic thinking. I am basing my realistic thinking on several things, most of which involve the fact that I was not at my best or even close to my best on the day of the interview. It wasn't just an off day for me; it was a stressful day following many previous stressful days and weeks. Things that were causing me stress on the day of the interview are as follows:

1. I had just started a new job and it was/is a very stressful job. The PI is a self-acknowledged Drama Queen and so our lab is either always in crisis or recovering from a crisis.

2. There was a lab crisis on the morning of my job interview that I had to deal with before the interview. I dealt with it, but my blood pressure shot way up and I could not get it down.

3. The interviews for most of these positions are phone interviews and so I had a phone call to make. I had planned to make the call from the lab using the lab phone, but I knew that if I did, my phone interview would be interrupted by the recovery from the morning crisis. So just an hour before the interview was scheduled I had to find another place to make the call from. I didn't have enough minutes on my cell and I couldn't afford to get minutes, so using my cell was not an option. So, I did the only thing I could think of which was to go to the office that I used to work in when I was on my graduate assistantship. But I didn't have the car that day, so I ran there even though my blood pressure was sky high.

4. I had just had surgery a few days before the interview and unfortunately, I was having some complications and some pain. Running did not help.

5. I knew one of the other applicants was for the position. He was a co-worker in the same department at the job that I just left. There we were working together and didn't even know that we were both applying for the same job. His phone interview was scheduled the same morning just before mine. I found this out 4 days before the interview. And he has 30 years of experience in the field and I in comparison as a recent graduate had very little experience. I had considered canceling my interview, but decided to go through with it because I didn't want to give up.

So I was a mess during my phone interview and it affected my ability to do well. I did not feel confident during my conversation with the interviewers knowing that they had just interviewed someone that is an awesome person and is superbly skilled in the field.

So that's the way it was and that is why I believe I will not get that job.

1 comment:

makita said...

Please let us know when you get an answer.