Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Angeles Crest Highway After the Station Fire



This is a video of the drive that Hal McAlister, Director of the Mt. Wilson Observatory, and his wife Susan, took to reach Mt. Wilson after the fire. Words that are being used to describe the Angeles National Forest along the Angeles Crest Highway are: utter desolation, a moonscape, and a landscape in an ashen gray winter.

I have gone skiing, hiking, and camping in this forest and now it's all gone. It will take decades for it to regenerate back to the way it looked the last time I was there. That will not happen in my lifetime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that whoever did this is found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Lover of the Former Angeles National Forest

Shadow said...

Hi Lover of the Former ANF,

I hope so too. If I remember correctly there was a fire in the San Jacinto Mountains a few years ago that killed 5 firefighters. The person that started it got the death penalty.