Monday, January 12, 2009

Verbal Shorthand

I went to Office Max today to get some notebook binders for my classes. I selected my binders and then proceeded to the checkout. I placed my binders on the counter. The cashier asked me how I was today and I said, I'm fine. Then the following exchange took place:

Cashier: Ink or paper

Me: I beg your pardon?

Cashier: Ink or paper

Me: Ink or paper?

Cashier: Would you like to buy some ink or paper today?


What do you think about that? Is this some new shorthand verbal language that Office Max is teaching their cashiers? Is the shorthand of text messaging now carrying over to verbal conversations?

This exchange has similarities to when a cashier asks at the grocery store 'Paper or plastic', where we choose one or the other. Is this a new sales technique in which Office Max is trying to make the customer feel like they have to choose either ink or paper? Whatever you call it, I don't like it.

No comments: