Wednesday, May 13, 2009

End of My Assistantship

I have a lot of studying to do, but I want to post an update of two things:

1. I turned in my appeal and supporting documentation to the financial aid office on Monday. It takes about 5 days for them to make a decision. So I am waiting.

2. In a previous post, I mentioned that the last day of my assistantship/job was coming up soon and my Graduate Advisor had not given any indication that he was going to give me a going away lunch. This bothered me because he had given a going away lunch for another student. So, last Thursday, the day before my last day, I went into his office to talk with him and this is how our conversation went:

Me: So, tomorrow is my last day here.

Grad Advisor: Tomorrow? Already? Oh...I wasn't keeping track...

Me: Yes, well...tomorrow is my last day. So I just wanted to tell you that I will have to come in over the weekend to clear out my desk because I've been too busy to do it before my last day.

Grad Advisor: Uh...well...you don't have to rush. You can take your time. The only thing that has changed is that I don't have money to provide an assistantship for you, but...but you don't have to go.

Me: Ummm (I was stunned, could not think of anything to say to him).

Grad Advisor: I hope you won't forget about us. You are going to come by to visit us aren't you?

Me: Of course. You are still the chair of my supervisory committee. That will not change.


So, he did not plan a going away lunch for me because he was in denial that I was leaving. I have done good work for him and we have had a pretty good advisor-grad student relationship, so I did not understand why I wasn't getting a lunch send-off.

Well...it's his fault that I'm not there anymore. He was depending on only one grant to staff his office. What faculty/researcher in their right mind would have only one grant in place to run and staff their office and lab?

No comments: